Friday, November 16, 2012

Chipping away

Some mornings just seem to be out to get you. You know the ones I am talking about. The ones where you don't even make it out the door to work without asking repeatedly why you bothered to get up at all. The ones where nothing goes the way you want it to. Yea that was my morning.

I woke up early which is not a bad thing really. I mean early up means less chance of being late to work. The thing is I woke up early because I was having frustrating dreams. You know the type that leave you angry at the world and wanting to punch someone. I had a whole night full of those dreams and woke up wanting to scream. So instead of sleeping an extra 20 minutes and risking more frustration I hopped into the shower right after the husbeast vacated the bathroom hoping the warm water would wash away my dream induced angst.

What I failed to remember in my eagerness to get the day started was that if I don't give a good 30 minutes between showers, there is not a lot of hot water to be had. During warmer months I don't really notice since I prefer colder showers when it is hot outside. It was 63 inside my house this morning when I woke up, I wanted a hot shower. It was lukewarm in the beginning and very unpleasantly cold at the end.

I scrambled about the cold bathroom as quickly as I could to get ready which was apparently an unwise decision. Somewhere in my morning routine I managed to take a chunk out of the side of my thumb. I didn't feel it when I did it but I discovered it when I made it to the laundry room to get my clothes for the day. It only hurts if I touch it, which sadly I have discovered is going to be often as I type with the side of my thumb.

I went to make my lunch and was beginning to think my day was turning around. I discovered I had twice as much lunch meat left as I thought I did which meant I wouldn't have to go to the store directly after work so I would have lunch stuff for Monday. Then I had a masterful moment of coordination and dropped my freshly made sandwich on the floor. So much for not having to go to the store.

I did manage to get to work on time, early even, and without any incidents on the way in. That was no small miracle. Most mornings I make my drive to work and end up sitting in the parking lot fuming at someones driving stupidity.

I am alone in the office today, so I had planned on having lunch at my desk and then going to Target to walk about and get away from the office. Sometimes it is nice to just walk around and browse. Plus I could get dog food and lunch meat and save a trip to the store after work. Then I got a call saying someone is buying something we posted on Craigslist and I need to go home and get that ready on my lunch break instead. So much for relaxing.

Nothing today has been horrible just all very inconvenient and annoying. Enough things like that happen and it just makes you want the day to be over with. Sometimes low grade annoyance is worse than one huge disaster.

It could be a lot worse, but it could also be a lot better. I would just like for the rest of the day to go smoothly with the worst thing happening being the pain in my thumb every time I hit the spacebar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment