Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Standing in the dark

The old saying goes something along the lines of 'When opportunity knocks, answer'. This is pretty sound advice. Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor, so you should take advantage of it when it shows up. Without opportunity sitting on your front stoop things can become very difficult, and really no one wants to take the difficult road if they don't have to.

I have been fortunate enough in my life to have had opportunity be a reliable sort of visitor. When my life has reached those points where a path must be chosen and action must be taken, I have more often than not been presented with great opportunities. I haven't had to search in the dark for the door, I just followed the sound of the knocking.

While this has been great in the past, it doesn't much prepare me for the future. I am used to standing in a dark room and waiting for the knocking to start. What the hell am I supposed to do when there is no knocking?

I have found myself in a place where I don't know what my next choice should be. I actually feel like I have a complete lack of options. Anything I come up with as a solution is really not a practical solution at all. I feel as though I am floundering and I don't much like it at all.

I suppose I have to just accept that I will either be sitting around waiting forever or I will have to figure something out. I am a smart rational person, I should be able to handle this. People make their own ways through life all the time without any of the answers being available, why can't I do the same?

I guess I have a lot of soul searching and pavement pounding in my future. I may not have any idea what I am doing, where I am headed, or really how to go about any of this, but that is not going to stop me from trying. The worst thing anyone can do is just sit idly by  hoping something happens. You will never get anywhere doing that.


No comments:

Post a Comment