Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hooker Heels

I work in a very casual sort of office. I think technically the dress code is business casual, but seriously we don't quite meet those standards. I can wear jeans and sneakers every day of the week and no one is going to say anything. There is a strict no flip flop rule which everyone (including myself) blatantly ignores, and jeans are not supposed to be bedazzled or embellished in any way. There are no print T-shirts allowed, except on Friday during a sports season when you can wear your favorite teams shirts. There are no tank tops allowed, but seeing as we live in Texas, no one seems to care, and there are bare arms everywhere you look. Otherwise it is your general rules of not wearing anything too revealing or otherwise inappropriate.

I have come to the conclusion though that there is a rule in our dress code about shoes that I have apparently missed. Somewhere in the rules it has to say that high heels, best used in acts of prostitution and clubbing, are not only appropriate attire for the office, but are expected. Everywhere I look I see women tottering about in these 3 and 4 inch stilettos and platforms, sassy heels that strap around their ankles, heels with buckles and bling. They are not subdued in any way. No these shoes scream sex.

I just don't understand. Just as there are certain shades of lipstick you should not wear in the afternoon, there are certain shoes you should not wear to work. During a fire alarm today, I was standing in the grass behind a row of women in skin tight pencil skirts and 4 inch heels. Now they all had bodies that flattered such looks, but for the office? Really?

Perhaps I am not fashionable, or am old fashioned or something, but I just don't get it.
Office shoes should be sensible and cute, not something that screams "Jump me now big boy."

Or not in my office at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment