Friday, December 16, 2011

Baby it's cold outside

There is a reason I live in the south. I was born here and raised here, so it is safe to say I am acclimated to the climate here. Yes in the summer it gets to be almost unbearably hot.

I had a friend who was vacationing out of country, and for the life of me I can not recall where now. She was on the phone talking to someone from home about the weather. The guy who was driving her overheard her talking about the temperature and was shocked. When she asked him if they had temperatures as high as we get in Texas he responded that yes there were places that got that hot; no one lived there.

We do live in those extreme temperatures. We complain about it, but we still live in it. Honestly I have to say I like it. I would prefer to be hot than cold any day of the week. I know people say you can only get so naked, but for me, once I am cold I stay that way. No amount of layering is going to save me. I have to take a hot shower or bath in order to get the cold out of my bones.

Thankfully while the summers are scorching hot, the winters are not all that cold. I know my friends from the north would scoff at me if I said our 40 degree winters was unbearably cold. They are being snowed in for weeks and don't see temperatures on the positive side of 0 for months on end. I really can't even wrap my brain around that concept.

For me though, 40 is cold. We have had snow the last two years, and it really sort of freaks me out. I mean I like snow and all, it is very pretty and novel, but I don't want to live someplace where snow is a normal thing. It is cold and wet and a real pain in the butt.

When faced with the choice of heat that will melt the soles of your shoes or cold that will burst your pipes, I will choose the heat any day of the week. Bring on the oppressive heat and take back your frigid winter. I am a southern girl for a reason. I really wish I could hibernate and just skip the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment