Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Streaming

I despise being sick. It seems like such an enormous waste of my time. Sadly though I am not known for having the most stellar immune system. There is nothing wrong with me per se, I just seem to get sick a lot. I have been lucky as to avoid large bouts of the flu the last couple of years, but it has not always been so.

When I was a little girl I was constantly sick. It turned out in the end that I was allergic to the world. About a million allergy shots later I could mostly function in the world for most of the year. Not to say my allergies were cured, they were simply not as cripplingly intense.

The worst part about being sick, aside from feeling like death warmed over, is the fact that I can not focus or think. My entire life turns into one long stream of consciousness. I have no filters. I sort of just say what comes to my mind. Everything sounds like a nonsequitur (which by the way my spell check says is not a real word. I either butchered the spelling or my spell check is stupid. Lets assume both are probable).

I told my mother that my grandmother was pure evil and had replaced the blood in her veins with pure spite and fed off of our misery and therefor would never die. See? No filters. Of course my mother agreed with me, but that is beside the point.

I am afraid of my jello. Not in the way I am afraid of spider, or heights, or libraries. More in the way of I am afraid that if I eat it my stomach is going to prompt me to do my best exorcist impression. That would be unpleasant on many levels, including the awkward of me being at work just now. No one should have to puke at the office.

Of course if the sick policy allowed for more sick time this wouldn't be an issue. Seriously who thinks that 5 sick days a year is sufficient? I mean are they assuming you will never get sick? One good bout of the flu or traveling stomach flu and you are out almost all of your sick time in one go. My office does this weird thing where you can borrow ahead up to three sick days, but no more. So I earn like 3 hours of sick time every pay period. If I get sick in January I can borrow ahead three days, but once I hit that point I have to wait until I accrue more hours before I can take more time off. Since it will then take me two months to earn back one day of sick time, I pretty much can not get sick again for all of winter. Well I can but then I have to spend my vacation time to do it. I don't have that much vacation time to begin with.

I just totally lost my train of thought because someone came into my cube.
Perhaps blogging while sick is not a good idea. At least I am not drugged up. That would make for some seriously entertaining blog posts. Mores the pity.

I think I am going to attempt to take a nap at my desk. This will probably end poorly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you're feeling ill. You need chicken soup and a blanket day, not work :-(

    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete