Thursday, November 8, 2012

Diametrically opposed

There is a saying that goes 'March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb'. The saying is meant to depict the extreme weather change that most people experience during the month of March. Moving from the harshness of winter into the gentle spring can be a little jarring and I think the saying is very apt.

I am of the opinion that November needs a saying as well, only it needs to represent the emotional roller coaster that this particular month represents. It starts off with tension, aggression, and people spewing vitriol left and right over elections, and ends with an outpouring of love and gratitude for Thanksgiving. Talk about polar opposites. 

Here is the thing, I don't talk about politics. If you go through all the archives of my blog you may find one post that is vaguely political in nature, but that is it. I just don't talk about them. Not with you, not with anyone. I will get up and walk out of a room if people start talking about them.

It is not that I don't have opinions, I do, and they are strong. That is the thing though. Anyone who has an opinion on politics has strong opinions. When we talk about them we get all worked up. Even in a friendly debate people get very charged. It can be stressful. I don't like that. So I avoid it.

Most people don't avoid it though, and it is sort of unavoidable come the start of November, especially in a year like this one where we are voting on the President of our country. Whether your guy one or lost you are going to have a strong reaction to it. Sadly many peoples reactions are very angry. Angry is probably wildly understating things, but we will go with that for now.

I get why. I really do. I understand why my mom is so upset, and she has very valid reasons, and I feel bad for her. Still she has refrained from posting or saying anything wildly inappropriate in her moment of distress. Of course my mom is an amazing woman full of composure and grace when it is called for. That is why she is awesome.

I think I got away from my point. Let me regroup.

So the beginning of November is fraught with intense emotions and a lot of people throwing temper tantrums like they were small children who didn't get a cookie or a whistle (that one was for you mom). Ugly things are said, feelings are hurt, and it is all around an un fun situation.

Then a few weeks pass and suddenly amidst a swarm of family and friends we find ourselves elbow deep in a turkey carcass feeling infinite thankfulness and love for the lives we lead and the things that we have. All of the anger is pushed away as we take the day to stop and think about all of the things that we are thankful and happy for despite any sort of strife or unpleasantness is in our lives.

There is all of this good will and happiness that fills us up at the end of this month that it makes it hard to believe that we started the month saying hateful irrational (or possibly rational) things. Perhaps we should stop now during the angry times to have a turkey sandwich and remember all of the good things in our lives a few weeks early.

November is a hell of a month. It comes in like a raging squall and goes out with calm waters. I am just holding on, keeping my  head down, and trying to ride out the storm for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment