Friday, November 2, 2012

NaBloPoMo

So November is National Type Your Fingers Off Month! Hooray!!Or for the more official name it is National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo) and National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). A month in which bloggers and aspiring novel writers are supposed to give it there all for 30 days because we can.

The idea of NaBloPoMo (That abbreviation makes me giggle every time. Seriously say it out loud and tell me you don't giggle. I have seen it abbreviated as NaBloWriMo for National Blog Writing Month, but what fun is that?) is that you make a post every single day of the month. Why? Well because we can I guess. I am sure there is a more significant reason, but I have no idea what it is. I would have to go and find the official site that is behind all of this and read about it, and honestly my give a damn is low.

Lets just say I am just enough of a joiner, or perhaps a bit of a masochist, that I am totally up for seeing if I can manage to accept this challenge. Last year I did it and actually succeeded despite taking a week long vacation to New Orleans in the middle of the month, and having faire every weekend. Trust me, posting on the weekends was the hardest part. I was normally brain dead by the time it came time to write a post. My weekend content was weak.

So that leads me to the second event that is this month, NaNoWriMo (doesn't make me giggle nearly as much). The idea behind this one is you write a novel in a month. Well technically just a 50,000 word novel in a month. I mean that is a good length novel, especially for a month. Thing is I have half written things that are already that long. I am very verbose though.

I meant to do this last year. In fact I had never heard of NaBloPoMo before November 1st, so I thought it was totally possible. I mean even with a vacation and faire I should have been able to crank out 50,000 words in a month if I actually tried. Turns out that faire, a vacation, and NaBloPoMo, plus my photo a day project was just a little too much for me. I don't think I wrote anything towards a novel last year.

Am I going to try again this year? No clue. We will see if I am feeling squirrely or not. I have no vacation or photo a day project and lots of spare time at work. Maybe I will write a novel this month. Or maybe I will play a lot of sudoku.

I just think it was very poor planning to have two big writing events in one month. A lot of bloggers I know also are writers who would want to or do participate in NaNoWriMo. One can only be expected to write so much in one day. Or perhaps that is all part of the challenge. Or perhaps it is a lesson in prioritizing.

However you look at it, I call it poor planning.

None the less you can expect to see something from me every day in November. That includes weekends. So please come back and check on me on the weekends so I at least don't feel like I am talking to myself. And let me know if you are participating in either of these insane experiments. I would love to hear how you are handling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment