Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Procrastination

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

This is a phrase I really shouldn't live by, but I sort of do. I am really sort of notorious for putting things off as long as possible. I am a master at finding something to do other than what I am supposed to be doing. I like to tell myself it is because I work so much better under pressure. In reality I am just a bit on the lazy side.

Don't get me wrong, when I do my work I do it very well and I always strive to do it right the first time. The latter comes from my hate for doing things twice. Even if someone else did it the first time, I still hate having to come back and do something that was simply done poorly or flat out wrong the first time.

Of late my main mode of procrastination has been blogging. This post is a prime example. It is eviction* day in the office, and I really loathe doing evictions. I could be sorting through the database right now, I should be anyways. Instead I decided now was the perfect time to write a blog entry for today.

This is at least productive procrastination. Right?

I know it is an awful thing to do. Procrastinators run the risk of not getting the job done, or doing it poorly because they are in a rush, or simply doing it wrong. I don't normally have those problems but I am aware of the distinct possibility that someday I won't be on the winning side of the procrastination game.

With that in mind, I suppose I should work now.
Or not.



* I don't actually evict anyone, that is not what my company does. I am simply going through already processed eviction files and making sure the addresses are entered in a standard excepted form so that they will hit in the database when a search is run on them. It is mind numbingly boring and sort of makes my eyes want to bleed since I have to hand scrub 70,000 to 120,000 records in a batch.

1 comment: