Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sharing a name is not necessarily a good thing

Growing up I was always a little peeved that my name was not really all that common. I mean it was not something strange and bizarre by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly wasn't on the list of top baby names in the early 80's when I was born. It was sort of just there.

The only problem I ever had with my first name was the over abundance of spellings available. I grew up with constant switching of vowels, adding of vowels, and adding of a rather superfluous 'h'. I once even had issues with people trying to add an accent mark.

Most of my name problems came from my last name. Campbell is not really the greatest surname to have in the world. It leaves itself far too wide open for jokes, and lets face it, when you are a kid the last thing you need is an easy opening for other kids to pick on you. I in turn rather despise the catch phrase for Campbell Soup.

It wasn't until I started dating the Husbeast that I realized that having a really common name might be more of a burden than a semi famous surname. Oddly while he hates his name simply for the spelling*, I hate his name for completely different reasons. Actually I love his name, I simply hate a song that shares it.

Jesse's Girl used to be a song I really enjoyed. It was catchy and fun to sing along with when the chorus came around. I never really paid too much attention to the lyrics until I started dating a guy named Jessie. People in all of there lack of cleverness love to jokingly sing that song at me. At first it was only mildly annoying. Then I sat down and listened to the lyrics and just got a little creeped out at the thought of it.

The song is about a guy who is lusting after his best friends girl. While I am sure I could come up with some sort of flattering thoughts at being called 'Jesse's Girl' really the only image I can muster up is one of the Husbeasts best friends lusting after me and that is just gross. His best friends are like brothers to him, and have through the years become like brothers to me.

Eww!

So I have come to loathe that song the longer we are together, much in the way I loathe Campbell's Soup. Sure it is a little irrational, but we are all allowed such irrational feelings. I suppose what I would really like is for people to stop being so 'clever' so I can stop hating things I would probably like otherwise.


* His name is spelled with an 'ie' at the end which is according to him the feminine spelling of the name. I keep telling him to just go have the 'i' dropped from his name legally, but he doesn't really like that idea.

1 comment:

  1. The first surname I ever had was MacDonald. I spent all primary school being called Ronald.

    ReplyDelete