Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Simple comforts

I am not a good sick person. I am miserable, whiny, and down right mean when I am sick. Sometimes I am just pathetic, but honestly I am mean more often than not. I like to be left alone for the most part so people constantly asking me how I am irks me and I tend to snap at them.

After rereading the last three posts I have written this morning I have discovered that I am very whiny and negative in my writing when I am sick. Not exactly thrilling entertainment for you my minion readers.

So instead of subjecting you to my less than positive views on the corporate view on sick time, I am going to try and instead focus on things that make me happy when I am sick.

Ramen- Only the Oriental flavored ramen will do when I am sick. It was what my mom served us when we were kids, and it is one of those things that just makes me feel better. The husbeast makes his ramen and drains away almost all the water so there is nothing resembling a broth, but I like mine very brothy. Sipping warm liquid is always comforting.

My cats- I have heard that animals can tell when you are sick. I totally believe this. When I feel poorly all the cats will come and curl up as close to me as they can. I think part of it is they are enjoying the extra heat my body is putting off, but I still find their closeness incredibly comforting.

Popcycles- This was our sick treat when I was a kid. My mom would feed us popcycles any time we felt under the weather. We weren't allowed to ever eat the red ones though, or eat anything red come to think of it, because she didn't want to have to figure out if we were puking blood or red food coloring.

Fuzzy blankets- I don't really care if it is mid July in Texas or snowing outside, when I am sick I want my fuzzy blanket. I will wrap myself up to my chin and snuggle down on the couch and be content in my fuzzy little cocoon. There is safety and healing inside my blanket.

Apple juice- I don't know why, but I associate apple juice with being sick. I mean I like apple juice when I am healthy, but when I am sick I always request apple juice. I suppose it is because orange juice is just too acidic and I associate cranberry juice with kidney stones. Apple juice is just happy to me when I am sick.


What about you? What is your go to comfort item when you are sick?

1 comment:

  1. Orange juice mixed half and half with REAL ginger ale.
    Scrambled eggs and toast with butter.
    I also have a fuzzy blanket that is wonderful any time but especially when I'm sick.
    Kitties - of course!
    Hot tea with lots of milk and sugar in it.

    ReplyDelete